Dental Filling Columbia SC

As shown by the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, over 92% of adults older than 20 have experienced cavities and dental decay at one point during their lifetime. The rest of 8% haven’t at the moment of the study, but most likely will too, at a later date. What this means is that everyone will experience a cavity at one point or another. And we, at Marc Berger Choice Dentistry, know that there is more about cavities that meets the eye.

Dental filling in Columbia SC is probably the most popular method of dealing with caries, but it needs to be done in the initial stages of the affection because in its advanced form extraction may be required. More often than not, cavities will lead to more than just tooth loss, which is why it is imperative to treat them as soon as possible.

How do cavities form?

Cavities are also called tooth decay, and oral bacteria which colonizes our mouth causes them. These microscopic agents will consume the sugar we eat and will create an acidic environment in the mouth which will attack the teeth’s enamel. In the first stages, only the enamel (the protective outer layer of the tooth) will be affected. But as the tooth decay will advance, the dentine will become affected as well.

And when the cavity will pass the dentine and start affecting the sensitive inner pulp, that’s when severe pain and infections will occur, basically forcing you to go for a dental filling in Columbia SC. And the more you postpone the procedure, the greater the risk of losing the tooth.

When do you need a filling and what happens if you ignore cavities?

The problem with dental caries is that they go through several different stages. The visible dark spots on the tooth’s surface only represent the first, milder stage. But as the tooth will keep deteriorating, the acid, along with the adjacent bacteria, will dig through the tooth’s dentine, infecting the pulp, and potentially cause gum disease as a result.

This is why it is essential to detect the problem in time and take measures as soon as possible. The more vital signs showing you might need dental fillings include:

  • Increased dental sensitivity, especially when consuming too hot or too cold beverages
  • The visible dark spots
  • Throbbing, recurrent pain in the tooth and the jaw
  • Abscesses forming at the base of the tooth
  • Swelling of the gum
  • Food getting stuck on the surface of that one tooth each time

There are more signs to be noticed as time passes, including a feeling of a rugged edge on the tooth or a foul taste in the mouth. It is crucial to opt for a dental filling in Columbia SC before it is too late and the affection advances beyond the point-of-no-return.

At Marc Berger Choice Dentistry, we specialize in the modern dental care, and our professionals have all the tools and all the experience they need to provide you with top quality, smooth interventions and a pain-free experience altogether. Don’t ignore cavities. Otherwise, you will be coming to our cabinet for more serious reasons.

Dental Filling Columbia Sc
Marc Berger Choice Dentistry
8038882012
928 Woodrow St, Columbia, SC 29205

View Larger Map